Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Send in the Clowns

This morning, I'm in my cubicle minding my own damn business when some sales guy starts asking some questions on the other side of the aisle. The questions boil down to the fact that he doesn't know what he's talking about and doesn't want to look like a fool in front of a potential customer. He starts asking all sorts of questions about how the product works and where certain information comes from.

Of course, none of the developers know any of this off the top of their heads. That's not to say that they can't find out. It's just a matter of whether or not you want them spending their time doing that. However, the sales twat seems to think that somehow that's a deficiency on the part of our development staff. How can we not know how our own product works?

Then he starts doing to typical sales guy fluffer bullshit by trying to sum up the situation in a way that points more blame at someone else. "Well, it sounds to me like we can't answer this guy's question. It sounds to me like we don't know how this stuff works. Listen guys, I really need to not come off like I don't know what I'm talking about. Are you going to be able to help me find these answers or not?"

I don't know which part bothers me more. The fact that he wants to needlessly start slinging blame in a non-critical situation or the fact that he, in typical slimey sales turd fashion, feels the need to do a song and dance for the customer rather than be honest. Man, I hate sales and marketing people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home