Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Why So Many Meetings?

I got an email from my manager canceling today's demo / planning meeting. I expected this since everyone is out of town this week. He then asked what we were working on this iteration. Again, I should expect this question since he wasn't present at the last demo / planning meeting and hasn't attended a daily standup meeting since he took over as manager. He's also apparently forgotten about the planning tool we use to track these things. He then had the suggestion that we have the weekly meeting every two weeks instead. Presumably, that is so he will miss half as many meetings. That's an outstanding increase in efficiency.

I fired off a reply stating my task list (half of which is what I would consider product management) and said I didn't have a preference in the area of one versus two week iterations. Of course, I actually think a one week iteration suits us better, but who the fuck cares at this point. Next, the sales guy chimed in and stated that he does have a preference and that it is for meeting every two weeks. That way he can better spread out that uncomfortable combination feeling of uselessness and ignorance he has to suffer through every meeting.

I'm hoping we can somehow resolve this so my attempt at developing a product won't cut into their nap time. Wish me luck!!

1 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Being my manager is one of his new duties. He's primarily a marketing / relationships guy. He is usually trying to close "big deals" and such. I'd say they should either hire a full time person to do dev and product management or transition it to someone else. Not likely to happen though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home