Monday, June 05, 2006

Let the Good Times Roll

I put in my two weeks notice and I will be moving on to a hopefully better situation. I'm sure that can't really be much of a shocker to anyone that reads the frustrating situations I've been dealing with at my current company.

My manager called the other developer (before even talking to me) and asked about how we were going to transition things. Of course, he seems to have forgotten that the other developer will be out for a week long vacation. If only we had some sort of calendaring application available to keep track of those things...

This will leave the current team staffed with exactly one developer who is still relatively new to the language and the architecture, a manager that seems to always have some other more important project on his mind, a sales guy that is convinced that this product will sell itself so he doesn't really need to understand it, and a product that has a distinct lack of resources, requirements, and customer feedback. If it wouldn't require me to share the pain (or take the brunt of it), I'd almost be tempted to stick around for that first commercial ship date.

While the developer will be fine without me (I think he's fully up to speed) I think the other problems are going to blow up soon. Couple that with the fact that the developers are doubling as support staff for the new stuff as well as a previous product line and it gets a bit bleaker. If I told you that we can't even build the old product would that make it sound worse? And that it's written half in a language we don't work in and half in a proprietary language neither of has any experience with? What if I said neither of us has ever even installed it? Now what if I got a non-trivial support call on it today? Did I mention that we ship the new stuff at the end of this month?

Yeah, I bet it's going to be fun to watch. The sad thing is both developers have been mentioning all of these problems in every meeting, at ever opportunity, for the past 3+ months. If only developers weren't such whiney little bitches, maybe someone would listen.

Anyhow, I'll be wrapping up my job duties over the next two weeks as well as finishing up any half-published material on this blog. I'll also try to eavesdrop a bit more to get one or two last juicy tidbits. After that, I foresee this blog going dark for a while. At least I fucking hope so...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home